ni

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Overkill for a broken turning signal?

It all started when I got back to the airport parking lot, and my left front turning signal casing was cracked. Ever after, it would toggle working or not working whenever I went over a bump. This is not that bad a problem, so I left it like that for over a month. Then, one weekend, I had to go and get greedy and try to have all four signals working, because three and a half just wasn't good enough for me. After meticulously reconstructing the casing, I tried to go in and fix the electrical problem, and caused a short, which I'm pretty sure blew a fuse. Well, clearly it's too much trouble to get a replacement fuse, so I got this instead:



No, it is not new (I'm crazy, but not that crazy). It's a 1999. And you know, I loved my little Mazda. There was nothing that wrong with it; it was, in fact, one of the most mechanically sound cars for its age, and I'm sure I could have driven it another fifty thousand miles with very little maintenance. And it gets about fifty percent better gas mileage than this (good timing that I just saw "An Inconvenient Truth" this weekend, not long after buying this car).

But... this is fun.

I remember my uncle saying that having a Porsche is like having your own personal rollercoaster. This thing is pretty close too.

So, yeah, I've been feeling very actualized working on a great map project at work and driving around in a German sports car listening to techno. Oh, and I went flying this weekend (started exchanging email last week with somebody in research who has a Cessna - I'll put up pics from that too).

For those of you who are curious, it's a BMW 328i, manual transmission. And I finally settled on a name for it: Xanadu.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes!!! Xanadu! Perfect -- I remember you saying that the right name would just "click", and this one certainly does. Plus, you can certainly decree a pleasure dome in such a spiffy thing as this car...

6/06/2006 6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home