ni

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Cold remedies

One day, I must put up a page of all the cold remedies I've come across over the years, because some of them actually work pretty darn well. For about the past week, I've had a head cold. On Saturday, my aunt Connie (who often has good remedies for things) told me to mash up ginger and brown sugar for the congestion, and (a separate formula) ginger and green onions to sweat out the cold. I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone, and did this:

-1 thumb-sized piece of ginger
-2 inches of green onion (organic, with white part still attached)
-1T brown sugar
Dice ginger and onion until quite small, smash in brown sugar, dice some more, put it in a big mug, put hot water on it (from my handy hot water pot), and drank it as soon as it was cool enough (sometimes I got impatient and added a little cold water).

It really works quite well. It's doing a bit less now, but at first, it dramatically cleared up my sinuses, and I did sweat out some of the cold. But, as you might guess, the concoction is a bit... sharp. After one particularly strong mouthful, I had the thought, "It's like a fire in my mouth, and everyone's running away screaming." Eh, it's still better than the pear soup *shudder*.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home