ni

Monday, February 20, 2006

First Day At Work

Today was my first day at Microsoft. As expected, I filled out forms and proved who I was, but much less than I expected. I also heard spiels about benefits and security, but no more than I expected. What we did that I wasn't picturing was talk about corporate culture. I guess that makes a lot of sense, and I was surprised how willing they were to talk about the negative aspects of the company and its image. It's a really good idea: tell the new people what's wrong so they can fix it, without being ingrained in the existing culture. So I give them a lot of credit for that.

As to the general tone of the day, I enjoyed it. The facilitator was a really good speaker: very entertaining and effective at getting his point across. We had a lot of 'talk in groups' things, which was fine with me since there were plenty of interesting people. At the end of the day we went to the company store and visitor center, which had a lot of cool toys in it.

So, what do I think of working for Microsoft, now that it's going to be my daily reality? Well, I still have mixed feelings about it. I'm not sure how much I'm willing to have "Microsoftie" as part of my identity, not just something I do 9 to 5 (or 7, or 10...). But we'll see how it progresses. I'll probably feel better about it when I get my first paycheck. Goodbye, soul. It was good having you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shauna said...

Awww!! We love you, no matter where you work. I wouldn't fret too much about job identity -- in a few years when this business has launched you into your own successful, Amy-owned venture, you can tip your hat to MS and say, "thanks for all the money and experience! Now how do you like THESE apples?"

In the meanwhile -- have fun!! You know that's all you're there for! :D

2/21/2006 1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey amy!! good to hear that your survived your 1st day @ ms!! =)

2/23/2006 11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home